Spring is here, which means one thing in Louisiana. It’s time to start catching crawfish! Whether you’re a seasoned pro or just getting started, we’ve put together a list of tips to help you have a successful season.
How to Catch Crawfish
- Buy traps. You can find these at your local bait and tackle shop.
- Bait your trap with chicken necks or liver. This will attract the crawfish into your trap.
- Set your trap in an area where you know there are crawfish. Some good places to look are near plants or in shadowed areas.
- Check your trap regularly and empty it as needed. The longer the crawfish are in the trap, the less fresh they will be.
- If the weather is too cold or hot, it won’t be as successful for catching crawfish. The ideal temperature for catching crawfish is between 70-85 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Boil your catch as soon as possible for optimal flavor, or store them alive in a cooler with ice if you plan on eating them later.
- Seasoning to really make your boil pop: Old Bay, salt, cayenne pepper, lemon juice, garlic, and butter.
- Try new recipes! Crawfish can be used in so many dishes like gumbo, etouffee, pies, and more!
- Don’t be afraid to get dirty- this is half the fun!
- 10. Most importantly, have fun and enjoy spending time with family and friends!
We hope these tips were helpful and that you have a great time out on the bayou this season! Let us know how your catch was in the comments below, and happy fishing!