Summertime is the perfect time to enjoy some fresh fish. And what’s more summery than catfish?
This delicious fish is a Southern staple, and whether you caught it yourself or picked it up from the market, you’ll want to know how to clean it before cooking.
Here are tips on how to clean catfish so you can enjoy a delicious meal worry-free.
- Start by rinsing the fish under cold water. This will help remove any mud or debris that may be on the surface.
- Next, use a sharp knife to make an incision along the belly of the fish, starting from the head and moving towards the tail.
- Carefully remove the entrails of the fish and discard them.
- Rinse out the inside of the fish with cold water.
- Use a paper towel or clean kitchen towel to pat the inside and outside of the fish dry.
- Next, make 3-4 slits along each side of the fish.
- Season the inside and outside of the fish with your favorite spices. We recommend using a combination of salt, pepper, garlic powder, and paprika.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil and place the fish on the sheet.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the flesh is opaque and flaky.
And there you have it! Some easy tips on how to clean catfish so you can enjoy a tasty summer meal!
Be sure to let us know how your dish turned out in the comments below!