Fishing poppers can be a great way to catch fish. They are easy to use and can be very effective. Here are tips on how to fish poppers.
- Pick the right size popper. The size of the popper should match the size of the fish you are trying to catch. If you are trying to catch bass, use a larger popper. If you are trying to catch panfish, use a smaller popper.
- Pick the right color popper. The color of the popper should match the color of the baitfish in the area you are fishing. If you are not sure what color baitfish are in the area, try using a white or chartreuse-colored popper.
- Attach the popper to your line using a barrel swivel. This will prevent the line from getting tangled when you are casting and retrieving the popper.
- Cast the popper out into the water and let it sit for a few seconds. This will allow the fish to see the popper and get interested in it.
- Slowly reel in the popper, making sure to keep a tight line. The fish will hit the popper when you are retrieving it.
- Set the hook when you feel a bite on the line. Use a quick, firm motion to set the hook in the fish’s mouth.
- Fight the fish using a rod with a medium-action tip. Pumping and reeling is the best way to fight a fish on a popper.
- Land the fish by bringing it up to your net or holding it up with your hands. Avoid touching its gills as this can damage them.
- Revive and release any non-keeper fish by holding them in moving water for at least 60 seconds. This will help them recover from being caught and allow them to swim away safely.
- Enjoy your success. Fishing with poppers can be very rewarding. You can also try other methods such as jigging or fly fishing. Experiment and find what works best for you.
Popping is a great way to catch fish, especially if you’re just starting out. By following these tips, you’ll be well on your way to becoming a pro at popping in no time!