For those who don’t know, rip rap fishing is a type of fishing that is done around man-made structures such as piers, docks, and break walls.
These structures provide perfect hiding spots for baitfish which in turn attract larger predators. In this article, we’ll discuss what rip rap fishing is, the equipment you’ll need, and why you should try it.
What is Rip Rap Fishing?
Rip rap fishing is a type of fishing that involves casting your line around man-made structures such as piers, docks, and break walls.
These structures attract baitfish which in turn attract larger predators. The term “rip rap” refers to the type of material used to build these structures (usually large rocks or concrete).
Why Try Rip Rap Fishing?
Rip rap fishing can be extremely productive because there is usually a lot of fish congregated in a small area.
Additionally, these fish are often times very aggressive and will strike at just about anything that comes near them. For these reasons, rip rap fishing is a great way to catch a lot of fish in a short period of time. Plus, it’s just plain fun!
What Equipment Do I Need?
In order to successfully fish around rip rap, you’ll need the following equipment:
- Boat with a Trolling Motor: This will allow you to position yourself in the right spot and cast your line where the fish are congregating. Additionally, it’s important to have a trolling motor because when you hook into a big fish, they will sometimes make long runs towards the structure which can be hard to paddle against.
- Baitcasting Reel: A baitcasting reel will give you the accuracy you need to cast your line around rip rap. Spinning reels are also an option but they are not as accurate.
- Braided Line: Braided line is necessary because it has high abrasion resistance which will help you avoid getting snagged on the rocks or concrete.
- Weighted Lures: You’ll want to use weighted lures so that they sink down to where the fish are congregating. Some popular options include swimbaits, jigs, and spinnerbaits.
- Pliers: Pliers will come in handy for removing hooks from the fish or cutting your line if it gets snagged on the structure.
- Net: A net will make it easier to land the fish once you’ve hooked them.
- Cooler: A cooler is necessary for storing your catch (or any drinks/snacks you might want to bring along).
- Anchor: An anchor will help keep your boat stationary while you’re casting your line.
- Wader Belt: A wader belt will help keep your pants from getting wet if you happen to fall in while casting your line around rip rap.
Rip rap fishing is a great way to catch a lot of fish in a short amount of time. It’s also a great way to have some fun out on the water.
All you need is a boat with a trolling motor, baitcasting reel, braided line, weighted lures, pliers, net, cooler, anchor, and wader belt and you’re good to go!